Assistant Forester: Silviculture & Planning | West Fraser
Location: Fraser Lake
For a complete look at the job posting see: Assistant Forester – Dec 2018
As an Assistant Forester – Silviculture, you will report to the Silviculture Superintendent and work with the team overseeing all silviculture field operations; as well as be involved in a range of activities including contract preparation, project management and budgeting.
Responsibilities of an Assistant Forester – Silviculture:
• Post-harvest assessments, surveys and supervision of contractor planting, mechanical site prep and brushing
• Reporting of activities and milestones into results
• Stand monitoring for health and productivity
As an Assistant Forester – Planning, you will report to the Planning Superintendent and work within the planning team to carry out all aspects of operational planning. You will have opportunities to gain a range of practical experience in forestry and to learn and develop new skills in forest resource planning. The planning team works closely with the operations and silviculture departments and various external or government stakeholders to acquire cutting permits and develop stewardship plans, silviculture prescriptions and other operational plans, while ensuring that strict environmental standards and legislative and land and resource management plan requirements are met.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Forester – Planning:
• Block and road layout, watercourse crossing assessments
• Timber reconnaissance
• Supervision of consultants
• Preparation and submission of cutting and permit applications
• The successful candidate is required to be a graduate from a recognized forestry school, and be an RPF, RFT, or be eligible to enroll as a Forester-In-Training or Trainee Forest Technologist with the Association of BC Forest Professionals.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Safety oriented
If this position sounds like the start of a career for you, submit your cover letter and resume at westfraser.com/jobs click “apply now” in green at the top of the page.