The Association of Registered Professional Foresters of New Brunswick (ARPFNB) licences, monitors, and supports professional foresters in New Brunswick. We hope that upon graduation you see the value of joining the ARPFNB or one of the other provincial professional forester associations across Canada.
To assist forestry students on their journeys towards rewarding careers as professional foresters, the ARFPNB is offering a scholarship of $5,000. to two New Brunswick forestry students. A single scholarship will be awarded to a full-time student accepted into the faculty of Forestry at the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton, and a single scholarship will be awarded to a full-time student accepted into the faculty of Forestry at l’Universite de Moncton in Edmundston.
- Student must be a permanent New Brunswick resident (currently have a valid New Brunswick Medicare Card).
- Student must be a full-time forestry student entering or working towards an undergraduate BSc forestry degree at either UNB or U de Moncton during the current year.
- Student must fully complete and submit the ARPFNB online application form before midnight September 30, 2023.
Applicants must provide:
- Contact, residence, and confirmation of residency in New Brunswick on the online Scholarship Application Form.
- Details of forestry school enrollment for the current/upcoming year (2023).
- Names and contact information of two References who are personally familiar with you that have agreed to be contacted.
As well, each applicant must provide a short essay (maximum 1,000 words) telling us why you are seeking this scholarship. Keep in mind that we’ll be looking for your strengths. Although academic performance is always an important consideration in a scholarship application, a high GPA alone will not spell success in this application nor in professional life. Some other attributes that will be considered include:
- Well-rounded, with interests beyond your studies and career aspirations, with some insight into the bigger world.
- Engaged in your programme of studies, perhaps having developed an interest in a specific aspect of forestry or related field.
- Involved in more than academic studies.
- Work experience, preferably forestry related.
- Committed, with a focus on what you see yourself doing upon graduation.
- Initiative, going beyond minimum requirements.
Aside from the specific strengths mentioned, what other strengths might you have that will serve you well as a professional forester in the future?
Perhaps most importantly, we are aware of the cost of attending university. What are your financial circumstances?
- All information will be treated in confidence.
- A committee of representatives from the ARPFNB and the forestry faculties at UNB and UdeM will evaluate the scholarship applications that were fully completed and submitted by the deadline.
- Forestry enrollment and reported academic performance may be verified.
- References provided may be directly contacted by the Evaluation Committee.
- The applicant may be directly contacted by the Evaluation Committee for supplemental information and follow up.
- A final decision regarding the scholarship awards will be made by November 1, 2023.
- The applicant selected to receive the scholarship will be notified and a public announcement (including photograph) and event attendance may be required.
- Unsuccessful applicants may not be notified.